Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Releasing the ducks.....



The ducks had to go, they were eating the neighbors garden and jumping out of their box. 
They could not quite fly yet, but I think they will be much happier at the pond.

So, we decided to let them go after school the other day.
It was exciting.
We invited the cousins and a few friends.
We get to the pond, still excited.
Jump out of the car and a big dog starts coming at us barking.
Dad tells everyone to get behind him.
The dog jumps and Dad accidentally knees it in the jaw.
He yells, Who's dog is this?
Some weird guy answers and drives off in his truck.
Well, ok then. 
We get the ducks out, again still excited to release them.
We say goodbye and gently put them down in the water.
In a matter of minutes a male duck swims over and attacks one of our ducks.
He jumps on top of it and bites its neck and dunks its head under the water.
All the kids are screaming, one is almost in tears. I am freaking out and Dad is wondering if he should take his shoes off and jump in.
(Later we found out this is how they mate)
Our duck finally gets away and we decide we had enough of ducks gone wild.
The kids were having fun throwing rocks in the pond until some guy tells us not to throw anymore rocks cause they are trying to fish. 
Ok, we stop.
But, then it gets ugly. 
He thought we were laughing at him and gets mad.
Yelling happens.
Profanity happens.
The guy even takes off his shirt (revealing a nice white wife beater tank top) ready to fight my husband.
Now I am nervous and tell the kids to get in the car.
My son decides he can't live without the ducks and breaks into tears.
Just get in the car, I yell.

We leave never to forget the releasing of the ducks.

Sorry no pic's of the ducks gone wild....

4 comments:

Missy said...

Whoa! They're pretty serious about their fishing over there! Geez! Good story. :)

Nat said...

I just laughed so hard I cried.

Mel said...

Ducks gone wild--that's funny. What a story!

Kim M. said...

I'm sorry, it must have been a bit scary, but I was totally laughing! Who knew that's how ducks mate and that guys who wear wife beater tanks and "call-out" your husband are so weird and local. (Okay, we actually all did know that, but it's still strange!) Was Bryan like "Are you kidding me?"