Thursday, January 27, 2011

Get Well Soon.....


My little buddy has been on my mind a lot lately. His tonsils have been huge for sometime now, so we finally got them taken out. This decision was not easy for us to make. Both my husband and I struggled with this for awhile now.  But, when the doctor told us that his throat was 90% blocked we knew we had to do something.  He snored so loud and would gag when he would talk a lot.  I admit I have been stressed and could not wait for it to be over. Finally the day came and we had to be there at 7:15 in the morning. We decided that I would stay home with the other kids and get them off to school and come as soon as I could, while my husband took him.  He called me and told me that he refused to get on the table and get dressed. He stood with his face in the corner and gave my husband the meanest looks.  This broke my husbands heart and he almost called it off. It is the worst feeling in the world to have to watch your scared little boy wheeled off down the hall.  My older son had his tonsils out when he was three. I guess we grow them big here.  I got there as soon as he come out and the doctor said the surgery went great.  He also said his tonsils were in the top ten biggest he had ever seen, this was including adults. It was hard to see my sweet little skinny boy just laying there.  I have to say my husband and I were emotional and I had to concentrate on not crying right in front of my son. I didn't want to scare him.  He was a little grumpy coming out of it, but we finally got him to drink some slushy.  They wouldn't let us leave until he did.  He would roll over and look at us with those sweet sleepy eyes and say, I want to go home.  
He did pretty good when he got home and my husband and I were wondering if we were making a bigger deal out of this than it was.  He ate toast and wanted to play Wii. We even had to tell him to sit down and rest.  By the end of the night he had a meltdown and freaked out.  The pain set in and he was exhausted.  Dad carried him to bed and he was instantly a sleep.  He had woke up at 5:30 that morning and would not go back to sleep. I think he was nervous. He couldn't eat or drink, so I got up with him to make sure he didn't. So, by the end of the day we were all very tired. I am very thankful to my wonderful visiting teacher for bringing us a yummy dinner. 
Today was not the same. He was in a lot of pain and laid on the couch the whole day. He has hardly spoken and only nods when you ask him a question.  He finally fell a sleep for a couple of hours this afternoon and is doing a little better. He hates the pain medicine because it tastes gross and today my husband and I had to hold him while we gave it to him. Not fun! Poor little guy.  
His buddies brought him a giant card and some pudding. They are awesome. His other little buddy drew him a cool picture.  He has great friends. 
We have not done a lot but just sit and hang out with him. It is kind of nice to just slow down and take care of him. 
I love him to death.





5 comments:

Kelley ♥ a bunch of apples said...

Oh guys that sucks so bad (believe me I know!) Get well soon little dude.

colemans said...

oh my gosh!! why didn't you tell me? I hope he recovers quickly!! Let me know if you need anything!

Jennie said...

Darn it! Hope he is doing better today! Love you guys.

Missy said...

Oh sad! And I'm SO not a good friend! I knew this was coming but I totally forgot! I hope he gets better soon.

Erin said...

so sad!!!! poor little nixon. i cant even imagine the hospital thing. i would have been bawling!